The Church of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus dominates the Upper Square where it is a good starting point for a tour of Jablonec, because it is located next to a spacious car park. The square provides an enchanting view of the Černá Studnice Peak with its stone lookout tower. The seemingly unconventional church from the 1930s makes a stark, yet mysterious impression, but it is certainly worth closer investigation.
The large triple-nave building with a transverse nave and a rectangular spire on the southern side and a facing of clinker bricks, which was modern at the time of construction, was completed in 1932. The author of the design was a native of Jablonec and an architect of European significance, Josef Zasche, who designed two churches in his home town. The construction work was undertaken by the company of Max Daut and a wide range of other local companies. Only those supplies, for which there were no sufficiently good local suppliers, were assigned to any external companies. According to the architect, the interior remained incomplete due to a series of fateful changes and it was merely provisional. There is a bronze statue of Christ by the Viennese sculptor Arnold Hartig (a native of nearby Tanvald) above the main altar and is a marble altar statue of the Pieta by Franz Hub on a side altar (the altar is exceptional due to the fact that is also a memorial to those inhabitants of Jablonec who fell during the 1st World War).
In addition to church worship, the church also serves as a venue for concerts. The exceptionally extensive organ, the architecture of which was also designed by J. Zasche.
It is possible to read an interesting report on the Church of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus from the Spires of the North cycle here.
The church belongs to the Roman Catholic parish – the Deanship of Jablonec nad Nisou. www.farnostjablonec.cz